How can I get free legal advice in BC?

How can I get free legal advice in BC?

Telephone advice Call Legal Aid BC at 604-408-2172 in Greater Vancouver or toll-free 1-866-577-2525 elsewhere in BC. If you are arrested or detained and in police custody, you can call the Brydges Line to speak with a lawyer. This is a free 24-hour emergency number for legal advice. Call toll-free 1-866-458-5500.

Does legal aid cover divorce in BC?

During the COVID-19 pandemic, Legal Aid BC has a new family limited representation services contract to help with child and spousal support issues, property division, negotiation and mediation support, and preparation for court. Services don’t cover divorce. Call Legal Aid BC to find out if you qualify.

How much is a divorce lawyer in BC?

The hourly rate of family lawyers in B.C. range approximately between $200 to $650. The rate is generally in accordance with how many years the lawyer has been practising law because lawyers typically increase their rate every year or two.

Can I call a lawyer and ask a question for free?

24-Hour Free Legal Help Hotline. When you call 1-800-ATTORNEY (1-800-288-6763), you’ll be connected with an attorney in your area who’s familiar with the laws in your state, who’s willing to listen to your concerns, and who can explain the options available to you moving forward.

How does divorce work in BC?

In British Columbia, you get a divorce by getting a divorce order from a judge at the Supreme Court of BC. You can get a divorce without appearing in court. You need to fill out several forms, file them with the court, pay the filing fees, and wait for your application to be processed.

What am I entitled to in a divorce in BC?

Everything that the spouses own separately or together on the date they separate is considered “family property” under BC law. That means that each spouse is entitled to a ½ interest in all family property such as a house owned by the spouses on the date they separate regardless of whose name is on title to the house.

How much does a separation agreement cost in BC?

Costs of doing a proper separation agreement in BC including independent legal advice (“ILA”), financial disclosure, negotiations and execution ranges from $2,500 to $10,000.

Who pays for a divorce in BC?

The general rule is that the person who “loses” pays the costs of the person who “wins” the case. But in family law cases, there isn’t always a clear winner or loser. The judge or master has to decide if one person should pay costs to the other.

How long does the average divorce take in BC?

How long will it take to do your own divorce? It’s possible to do your divorce in 4 to 6 months once you’ve settled all your issues. But there are waiting periods, and it might take longer if your Supreme Court registry is busy.

Is legal aid Still Available for divorce?

Legal Aid is no longer available for most divorce cases, although there are limited circumstances in which it may be granted.

How do I get a divorce in BC without a lawyer?

Supreme Court If you’re married and you want a divorce, you need to get a divorce order to end your marriage legally. If you aren’t legally divorced, you can’t marry someone else. To start your divorce, you file a Notice of Family Claim (F3) or Notice of Joint Family Claim (F1) in the BC Supreme Court.

What does legal aid BC do?

The Legal Services Society (Legal Aid BC) is a non-profit organization committed to helping British Columbians resolve their legal issues. We provide free public legal information and services, and legal representation and advice to British Columbians with low incomes.

What if I need legal advice in another area of law?

If you need advice in another area of law or in another region, we may be able to refer you to other advice services, such as the: If you can’t afford a lawyer, we may refer you to a local pro bono clinic where lawyers volunteer free legal advice about family and civil law issues.

Do I need a lawyer to get a contested divorce?

Getting legal help You don’t need a lawyer to get a divorce, but it’s a good idea get some legal advice, especially if you have to agree about issues about parenting, support, or property and debt. If you don’t have a lawyer, the Justice Access Centres can help you get the information you need to prepare your own case for a contested divorce.

Begin typing your search term above and press enter to search. Press ESC to cancel.

Back To Top