When should you make a jack-o-lantern?
“Carve no more than three days before Halloween,” Evan recommends. If your main Halloween celebration falls on the weekend before or after Halloween, pick a pumpkin carving date a few days before then—or even the day-of, if you have time on Halloween morning and there are still pumpkins to be found.
What do you put in a jack-o-lantern?
Apply petroleum jelly or olive oil to the cut surfaces to prevent dehydration over time. Spraying the cut surfaces with hairspray can also slow down the decaying process.
What can I do with leftover jack-o-lantern pumpkins?
What to Do With Your Leftover Jack-O-Lanterns
- Compost it: If you compost, toss it in your compost bin.
- Bury it: If you don’t compost, consider burying the pumpkin in your garden.
- Feed the birds: Break up the pumpkin and toss it in the woods or bushes where birds can easily get to it.
How long does jack-o-lantern last?
five to 10 days
“If the pumpkin was healthy when picked and diseases were controlled in the field, the pumpkin can last 8 to 12 weeks,” he says via email. He adds jack-o-lanterns don’t fare as well: They last five to 10 days.
How do you make jack o lanterns last longer?
How to Make Your Jack-O-Lantern Last Longer
- Choose a good pumpkin to start.
- Wash the pumpkin in soapy water before carving to get rid of any bacteria or mold on the surface.
- Clean out the inner cavity thoroughly.
- Disinfect the carved pumpkin.
- Dry it upside-down.
- Use vegetable oil on cut edges.
- Protect the pumpkin.
How do you make jack-o-lanterns last longer?
What can pumpkins be used for besides food?
14 delicious uses for Halloween pumpkins
- Roasted pumpkin seeds.
- Make pumpkin puree.
- Pickled pumpkin rinds.
- Bake a pumpkin pie.
- Make your own pumpkin spice latte.
- Make pumpkin chili.
- Dehydrate your own pumpkin pie leather.
- Bake some pumpkin bread or muffins.
Can jack-o-lantern pumpkins be eaten?
Sure — as long as it is in good condition and hasn’t’ yet been carved. Pumpkins typically used for jack-o’-lanterns usually are larger, with stringier pulp and more watery flesh. However, you can still eat the jack-o-lantern variety with fairly good results. Pumpkin seeds from any pumpkin can also be dried and roasted.