WHAT IS routing protocols in networking?
A routing protocol specifies how routers communicate with each other to distribute information that enables them to select routes between nodes on a computer network. Routing algorithms determine the specific choice of route. Each router has a prior knowledge only of networks attached to it directly.
Are routers used to facilitate exchange of routing?
Dynamic routing protocols are used by routers to facilitate the exchange of routing information between routers.
What are the 4 main functions of a dynamic routing protocol?
The purposes of a dynamic protocol are:
- Explore network topologies, both known and unknown.
- Exchange information with other dynamic routers about network status and topology.
- Update routing tables based on exchanged information.
- Select the optimal way to access destination networks.
WHAT IS routing protocol in ad hoc network?
An ad hoc routing protocol is a convention, or standard, that controls how nodes decide which way to route packets between computing devices in a mobile ad hoc network. Instead, they have to discover it: typically, a new node announces its presence and listens for announcements broadcast by its neighbors.
What is the most commonly used routing protocol?
Among all the three chosen samples, OSPF is the most widely used routing protocol in large enterprise networks. OSPF is based on link-state technology by using SPF algorithm which calculates the shortest path.
What are the two main categories of routing protocols?
All routing protocols can be classified into the following: Interior Gateway Protocols (IGP) or Exterior Gateway Protocols (EGP) Classful or Classless Protocols.
What are the features of OSPF?
OSPF supports/provides/advantages –
- Both IPv4 and IPv6 routed protocols.
- Load balancing with equal-cost routes for the same destination.
- VLSM and route summarization.
- Unlimited hop counts.
- Trigger updates for fast convergence.
- A loop-free topology using SPF algorithm.
- Run-on most routers.
- Classless protocol.
What are the components of a routing protocol?
The main components of dynamic routing protocols include:
- Data structures – tables or databases kept in RAM.
- Routing protocol messages – to discover neighboring routers, exchange routing information, and maintain accurate information about the network.
Which of the following is a purpose of a routing protocol?
The purpose of routing protocols is to learn of available routes that exist on the enterprise network, build routing tables and make routing decisions. Some of the most common routing protocols include RIP, IGRP, EIGRP, OSPF, IS-IS and BGP.