What is a good way to start off a sentence?
Seven Effective Ways to Start a Sentence
- Adjective (a word that modifies a noun) Example: Grateful, I sent a thank you note to the women who returned my lost cell phone.
- Adverb (a word that modifies a verb)
- Prepositional phrase (a phrase that starts with a preposition)
- Infinitive phrase.
- Gerund phrase.
- Participle phrase.
- Adverb clause.
Do you put a comma after and at the beginning of a sentence?
The word and is a conjunction, and when a conjunction joins two independent clauses, you should use a comma with it. The proper place for the comma is before the conjunction. Therefore, we need a comma before and. Don’t use a comma before and when one of the clauses it’s connecting is a dependent clause.
When to use a comma at the beginning of a sentence?
2. Use a comma after a dependent clause that starts a sentence. A dependent clause is a grammatical unit that contains both subject and verb but cannot stand on its own, like “When I went running …” Commas always follow these clauses at the start of a sentence.
How do you use the first place in a sentence?
1 —used at the end of a sentence to indicate what was true or what should have been done at the beginning of a situation We should never have gone there in the first place. I didn’t care much for the job in the first place.
What words do you use to start a sentence?
Example: Using Transition Words to Indicate Sequence/Order of Events
|generally… furthermore… finally||during|
|in the first place… also… lastly||earlier|
|to be sure… additionally… lastly||eventually|
|first… just in the same way… finally||finally|
|basically… similarly… as well as||first of all|
Is there a comma after together?
No difference. Together is not a dependent clause, it’s just an adverb that’s been moved to the front of the sentence.
How do you start off a sentence without using I?
The Quick Fix
- Start with a prepositional phrase. A propositional phrase lets us know where the subject of the sentence is in time or space, or what the relationship is between two entities.
- Swap the clauses.
- Cut out unnecessary actions.
- Avoid filter phrases (I thought, I saw, I heard).