How do you create an automatic Table of Contents in Word?
Create the table of contents
- Click where you want to insert the table of contents – usually near the beginning of a document.
- Click References > Table of Contents and then choose an Automatic Table of Contents style from the list.
How do I make a Table of Contents clickable in Word?
Add the link
- Select the text or object you want to use as a hyperlink.
- Right-click and then click Hyperlink .
- Under Link to, click Place in This Document.
- In the list, select the heading or bookmark that you want to link to.
How do I add a subheading to a Table of Contents in Word?
Format the text in your table of contents
- Go to References > Table of Contents > Insert Table of Contents.
- Select Modify.
- In the Styles list, click the level that you want to change and then click Modify.
- In the Modify Style pane make your changes.
- Select OK to save changes.
How do I get heading 3 in Table of Contents?
Change the heading levels reported in the TOC
- Click anywhere inside the TOC.
- Go to the References tab > Table of Contents > Insert Table of Contents.
- On the Table of Contents window, change the Show levels setting from 3 to 4 or 5, depending on how deep you want to go.
- Click OK.
- Say Yes to replace the existing TOC.
How do I make the Table of Contents on the left side in Word?
In Windows, go to the References tab on the ribbon, click the Table of Contents button on the left, then choose one of the two built-in tables from the list.
How do you create a Table of Contents in Word 2016?
Click on the References tab and click Table of Contents button. Choose a Table of Contents from the Built-In styles list. Highlight the heading within your document and select Styles. contents.
How do I create a multi level table of contents in Word?
- Click on your top level number/symbol.
- “Define new multi-level list”
- Click “More >>”
- Click on your top level line and click “link level to style”
- Select “heading 1” or your own custom style, I don’t care.
- References > Table of contents > Insert table of contents.
- Show levels: 1.
How do I insert a second table of contents in Word?
Then go to the INSERT tab, click Quick Parts, and Field. Then scroll down and click TC. Type the name of the subsection, then check TC entry in doc with multiple tables. This will add a switch to the code – the \f switch – that enables us to add multiple Tables of Contents.
How to add table of contents in Microsoft Word?
After selecting heading styles, you can go to the “References” tab and proceed to the “Table of Contents” command. There are some automatic tables you can choose. Then you select one of them to add the table of contents. Step 3. View the Table of Contents Now, the table of contents occurs in the document.
How do I create a custom table of contents (TOC)?
To create a Custom Table of Contents in Word, simply: 1 Navigate to the References tab 2 Open the Table of Contents dropdown menu 3 Choose Custom Table of Contents 4 Customize the elements of your TOC (see details below) 5 Click OK
How do I change the style of the table of contents?
Go to References > Table of Contents. and choose an automatic style. If you make changes to your document that affect the table of contents, update the table of contents by right-clicking the table of contents and choosing Update Field.
How do I use the built-in table of contents?
Select a built-in table from the menu that appears, and the table of contents will appear in your document. As you can see in the image below, the table of contents uses the heading styles in your document to determine where each section begins.