How do I fix some keys on my Apple keyboard not working?
If your Mac doesn’t respond to key presses
- Disconnect and reconnect the keyboard. Make sure the connector is completely inserted into the port.
- Connect your keyboard to a different USB port or to a different Mac. If this solves the problem, your Mac may need to be repaired.
- Connect a different keyboard to this Mac.
How do you fix a black screen of death on a MacBook Air?
Hold down Shift + Control + Option and Power button at the same time for 12 seconds. Release all keys at the same time, then reconnect the Power cable and turn the Mac back on again.
Why does my MacBook Pro keep shutting off?
In any case, Apple’s advice on how to fix it is as follows: Get your MacBook Pro’s battery to less than 90 percent, connect it to the power adapter, quit all apps, close the lid (which should put the laptop in sleep mode), and let it charge for at least 8 hours. Then, update to the latest version of macOS.
Is it OK to leave MacBook pro plugged in all the time?
Calibrate your battery. Calibrating your battery basically maximizes its full charge potential by first fully charging it, then fully draining it, and finally fully charging it again. Apple does not recommend leaving your MacBook plugged in all the time.
How do you reset the cycle count on a MacBook?
Since the cycle count of MacBooks is logged inside the battery, it is impossible to reset or reduce the count. The cycle count is a one-way trip. It keeps increasing but can’t go back. Just like the TIME.
Why does my MacBook Pro keep shutting down and restarting?
There can be many reasons why your MacBook keeps rebooting. The most common issue is conflicting applications. Another issue could be incompatible hardware or peripheral devices. It could be an issue of not enough RAM or hard drive space.
How do I revive a dead MacBook Pro battery?
To reset it, do the following—you can find the same information buried on the Apple website.
- Shut down your MacBook Pro.
- Turn it back on.
- Press and hold the Command, Option, P, and R keys while it’s starting up.
- Hold the keys down for at least 20 seconds.
- Release the keys.
How do I reset my Mac battery?
Unplug the power, then shut down your Mac. Hold the left Shift+Control+Option keys down, then press and hold the power button down. Keep all four buttons pressed down for ten seconds, then let go. Plug the power cable back in, then turn on your Mac.
What does resetting the SMC do on a Mac?
Resetting the SMC restores the default settings related to low-level functions that you generally can’t modify in System Preferences. The SMC controls the power button response, battery management, sleep settings, thermal management, lighting settings and video source selection.
What do you do if your MacBook Pro is stuck on the loading screen?
How to fix a Mac stuck on the loading screen?
- Shut the Mac down, usually by pressing the power button.
- Now press the Shift, Control, Option keys at the same time.
- Then while still pressing those keys, hold the Power button at the same time for 10 seconds.
Does Mac sleep when lid closed?
By default, your MacBook will go to sleep the second you close the lid. But there is one exception, as Apple explains here. To summarize, your MacBook will stay awake while closed if: The power supply is connected, and.
Why did my MacBook air screen go black?
Sometimes a black display is the result of corrupt information on the startup disk. You can force your Mac to run diagnostics on the disk by booting into safe mode. To start up in safe mode, power up or restart your Mac and hold the Shift key until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
How do you reset the SMC on a Mac?
How to reset the SMC on Mac notebooks:
- Choose Apple menu > Shut Down and wait for your Mac to shut down.
- Press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in keyboard, then press the power button at the same time.
- Release all keys.
- Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.
How do you know if Nvram is reset?
NVRAM is only really reset from cold boot. The 4-finger salute PRAM/NVRAM reset can sometimes have trouble with keyboards and other USB equipment. Hold down and the second reboot cycle as done and do not let go of the keys, the sound should be LOUD and then you know it was reset.
Does resetting the SMC delete everything?
Resetting the SMC will not delete any saved data on the computer, but rather reset certain settings on the computer; ultimately speeding up your Mac.
How do I fix sleep/wake failure on Mac?
7 Ways to Fix Mac Sleep-Wake Failure Problems
- Check Your Power and Screen Brightness.
- Switch Off Your Mac and Turn It Back On.
- Perform an SMC and NVRAM Reset.
- Reinstall MacOS.
- Disable System Hibernation.
- Reset Your Mac’s FileVault.
- Get Rid of System Junk.
Why is my keyboard suddenly not working?
Open the Start menu and type “Device Manager.” Press Enter, and expand the Keyboards section. If that doesn’t bring the keys back to life, or if the Keyboard icon isn’t even visible in the Device Manager, head to the laptop manufacturer’s support page and install the latest drivers for the keyboard.
What happens if your MacBook Air won’t turn on?
On a modern MacBook without a removable battery, press the Power button and hold it down for ten seconds. If your Mac is running, this will forcibly cut the power to it and force it to restart. On a Mac with a removable battery, shut it down, unplug it, remove the battery, wait ten seconds, and then reinsert it.
How do you fix an unresponsive keyboard on a Mac?
Hold down Shift+Control+Option and the Power button at the same time. Release the keys and look to see if the MagSafe adapter briefly changes color. If it does, the SMC reset has worked.
How do I fix my MacBook Pro boot loop?
Fixing the Reboot Loop
- Shut down computer, hold down the power button until it turns off if you have to.
- Hold down the keys command-option-p-r at the same time.
- Hold those keys down until your Mac reboots again and you hear the startup chime.
- Keep holding the keys down until you hear the chime 3 times.
How do I reset my Mac keyboard?
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time. Release the keys.
How do I fix black screen of death?
Repair a Black Screen of Death in Safe Mode Hardware and driver issues resulting in a Black Screen of Death can be repaired via Safe Mode. If your computer is hanging with a black screen, restart the computer and hold F8 or Shift and F8. This should boot the computer into Safe Mode.
How do I make sure my Mac doesn’t go to sleep?
Set sleep times for when you’re using your Mac notebook’s power adapter: Click Power Adapter, then drag the “Turn display off after” slider. Keep your Mac from going to sleep automatically: Click Power Adapter, then select “Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off.”
How do I know if PRAM has been reset?
Once your hear the startup chime a second time, the PRAM has been reset and you can release the keys.
Why won’t my MacBook Pro boot up?
Hold down all of these keys: Command, Option (Alt), P and R, and turn on the Mac (it’s the same keys to reset the PRAM). Keep holding the keys down until you hear the Mac restart again. Listen for a second reboot, and then release the keys.
How do I check the cycle count on my MacBook Pro?
About battery cycles
- Hold the Option key and click the Apple menu. Choose System Information.
- Under the Hardware section of the System Information window, select Power. The current cycle count is listed under the Battery Information section.
How can I tell if SMC reset worked?
- Charging indicator is orange light when machine powered off.
- Keep pressing Shift + Option + Control + Power for 10 seconds and indicator is still orange.
- Indicator turns to green when release all keystrokes and keeps almost 1 second.
- Light turns to orange then.
How do I reset the SMC and PRAM on my MacBook Pro?
- Shut down the computer.
- On the left side of the keyboard, press and hold the Shift, Control, and Option keys while simultaneously holding the power button.
- After 10 seconds, release all of the keys.
- Turn on your MacBook.
How do you hard reset a MacBook pro?
Press and hold down the Command (⌘) and Control (Ctrl) keys along with the power button (or the Touch ID / Eject button, depending on the Mac model) until the screen goes blank and the machine restarts.