Do I get a green card if I marry an American?
If you are married to a U.S. citizen, you will be eligible for an immigrant visa (if needed for U.S. entry) and then a green card (lawful permanent residence) under the Immediate Relative category. Most green card holders have to wait five years before applying for U.S. citizenship.
Can a US citizen live in Nigeria?
Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. In Nigeria, you can apply for a nonimmigrant visa at the U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos.
How soon can I apply for citizenship?
You may file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, 90 calendar days before you complete your permanent residence requirement if your eligibility for naturalization is based upon being a: Permanent resident for at least 5 years; or. Permanent resident for at least 3 years if you are married to a US citizen.
What are the 10 steps to become a US citizen?
10 Steps to Naturalization
- Step 1: Check Eligibility for U.S. Citizenship.
- Step 2: Complete Form N-400.
- Step 3: Obtain Two Photographs.
- Step 4: Photocopy Documents.
- Step 5: Send Your Application Package.
- Step 6: Get Fingerprinted.
- Step 7: Attend Naturalization Interview.
- Step 8: Take English and Civics Test.
Is it better to get married in the US or Philippines?
It’s better to get married in the Philippines if you plan on staying in the country for good right after getting married. By contrast, if you get married in the U.S. while on a K1 or the Fiancé /Fiancée Visa, the waiting time will only be 3-6 months. You’ll also get to live with your spouse while waiting for the visa.
What are the 5 steps to becoming a US citizen?
We will explain each step in detail below.
- Step 1: Meet the Citizenship Eligibility Requirements.
- Step 2: Prepare Your Application, USCIS Processing of Form N-400.
- Step 3: Biometrics Appointment.
- Step 4: The Citizenship Interview.
- Step 5: The Citizenship Test.
- Step 6: The Naturalization Ceremony.
What is the easiest way to become a US citizen?
4 Paths to U.S. Citizenship
- Naturalization. Owning a green card is something that can help you become a naturalized citizen of the States as it makes the entire process much easier.
- Marriage. Becoming a U.S. citizen is possible if you are married to a citizen of the U.S. as well.
- Through Parents.
How do you marry an American citizen?
If eligible, the permanent resident can apply for U.S. citizenship. Once a U.S. citizen, the petitioner can file Form I-129F and bring his/her fiancé to the United States. Alternatively, the couple can marry outside the United States. Once married, the permanent resident can petition the spouse.
How does a person become a US citizen?
You can become a U.S. citizen by birth or through naturalization. Generally, people are born U.S. citizens if they are born in the United States or if they are born abroad to U.S. citizens. You may also derive U.S. citizenship as a minor following the naturalization of one or both parents.